Saturday, April 19, 2008

Waiting for the Tipping Point



I like to let problems get to a tipping point, and then deal with them all at once. I would rather clean my room once I can't see the floor anymore, wait until I have a dozen text messages before touching my cell phone, or write a ten page paper in one sitting the night before it's due. People like time management and organization and planning ahead; I can only stand it in small amounts.

The only other person I've known to operate this way was my high school roommate. Sometime during the month we moved into school, we were doing homework on our respective bunk beds. I leaned over to sharpen my pencil off the top bunk, and at the same time, she unwrapped a granola bar and tossed the wrapper off the bottom bunk. We laughed about it, and I think maybe that was the moment I realized that we had this weird mutual understanding. We would spend all week letting the mess in our tiny double accumulate, and then we'd spend hours cleaning up our ankle-deep clutter for weekly room inspections. It wasn't that we were too lazy to move an extra few feet to the trash can or laundry basket... it just made sense to us to do it that way.

It drives everyone else crazy. People think I'm disorganized and cluttered and a bit chaotic. I agree that it might not be the best life philosophy, but to me, it's organized chaos. It's the way I function.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My life's philosophy. I'm glad I'm not alone.