Tuesday, April 15, 2008

David Hockney


Ian Swimming, Hockney

This man is my hero. Besides using a Polaroid camera for a lot of his photography (major bonus points right there), he's created totally unprecedented photo collages inspired by Cubist paintings. By arranging smaller, individually photographed pictures to create one composite image, he transformed scale, perspective, and angle in ways no other photographer had before him (or has since, really). Check out the simultaneity of time and space in Ian Washing His Hair below--it reminds me so strongly of Marcel Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2:


Ian Washing His Hair, Hockney


Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2, Duchamp

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(marCel duchamp)
(helps if you know how to pronounce it) (delete this comment!)

katie ty! said...

Haha, thanks, dually noted and corrected. That's what I get for doodling all over my notebook instead of paying attention in my avant-garde class.

I'll keep your comment... it's good to stay grounded.

Anonymous said...

(duly noted)
(not "twice" noted) (delete this comment too!)

katie ty! said...

C'mon, give me some credit. I may be an art major, but this one works. The word "dual" can refer to a doubling as you indicated, but it can also refer to a splitting:

dual: consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects

So, "both" noted and corrected, or "in two parts," noted and then corrected.